Sunday, January 6, 2008
Denny Hall Bell Tower
Denny Hall at the University of Washington. Crowning Denny Hall is the belfry containing "Varsity Bell," which was brought from Troy, N.Y., around Cape Horn to Seattle in the winter of 1861-62 for installation in the original Territorial University building. The 400-pound bell was purchased for $368 during the Civil War and rung for the first time on March 19, 1862. It was used to signal classes until 1912 when the Blethen Chimes were installed. The bell is now rung once a year at Homecoming.
The hall was named for Arthur Denny, who donated 8 2/3 acres of the University's original 10-acre downtown tract. Arthur Armstrong Denny was one of Washington State's early pioneers, and became one of the major civic leaders of Seattle, settling in Alki Point, West Seattle in 1851. Denny was a banker and businessman. He served as postmaster, county commissioner, and member of the Washington territorial legislature. (source: www.washington.edu)